Department of Technology and Biotechnology of Drugs (Faculty of Pharmacy) and Department of Pathophysiology (Faculty of Medicine) Jagiellonian University Collegium Medicum and the Doctoral School of Medical and Health Sciences announce a competition for the position of a PhD student-scholarship holder in framework of POBqLife IDUB programme
Job title: PhD student
Name of the unit: Department of Technology and Biotechnology of Drugs (Faculty of Pharmacy) and Department of Pathophysiology (Faculty of Medicine) Jagiellonian University Collegium Medicum
Job description: PhD student (with a scholarship) (implemented as part of the competition: „Dofinansowanie interdyscyplinarnych zespołów realizujących projekty badawcze z udziałem doktoranta Szkoły Doktorskiej Nauk Medycznych i Nauk o Zdrowiu UJ CM”)
A candidate is recruited to the Doctoral School of Medical and Health Sciences for a 3-year interdisciplinary PhD programme taught in English (Inter-disciplinary PhD Programme in Medical and Health Sciences)
Project title: Interplay between intestinal dopaminergic and renin-angiotensin systems in the regulation of intestinal epithelial permeability – metabolic pathways and pharmacological implications
– a Master’s degree in biotechnology, biophysics, medicine, pharmacy or a related discipline, obtained within the last three years maximum before the announcement of the vacancy,
– experience and scientific interest in molecular biology, cell culture and microscopy (confirmed by completed courses and list of publications),
– motivation to conduct research work,
– knowledge of English language sufficient for independent writing of publications and presentation of results at international conferences,
– ability to work in a team.
➢ Job description:
Participation in in vitro experiments: culture of Caco-2 cells and intestinal organoids, Western blotting, total RNA isolation, primer design, real time RT-PCR, immunohistochemical staining, data analysis, preparation of graphs and publications, participation in international conferences and short-term research trips abroad.
➢ Eligibility criteria
The order of candidates on the ranking list will be determined by the final numerical qualifying score based on:
A. Scientific achievements (0-100 points)
a) scientific publications (0-50 points; 10 points for a publication with IF, 3 points for a publication without IF),
b) placement/internship abroad (0-10 pts; 5 pts per centre),
c) scientific congresses (0-10 points; 1 point for passive participation, 2 points for active participation),
(d) obtained research grants (0-15 points, 5 points for each),
(e) conference grants awards – so-called “travel grants (0-10 points, 2 points per grant),
f) other forms of scientific activity not included in the above categories, e.g. membership in the Editorial Board of a scientific journal, reviewing scientific publications (0-5 points, 1 point per activity);
B. Self-presentation – an oral presentation in English of the past research work and scientific experience preceding the interview (0-20 points);
C. Interview in English (0-80 points).
A candidate’s qualification score is the sum of the points obtained by the candidate in the entire qualification procedure. A candidate may be awarded a maximum of 200 points in total.
➢ Qualification procedure:
A. The qualification procedure begins with the assessment of the candidate’s scientific achievements.
Applicants who receive 0 (zero) points for the past scientific achievements do not participate in further qualification and their qualification score is 0 (zero) on the final ranking list.
B. Candidates will give an oral presentation in English on their research work and scientific experience prior to the interview.
C. Candidates are interviewed in English, during which the level of their preparation for doctoral studies and research is assessed, in particular:
– knowledge of the field in which the candidate intends to conduct research,
– ability to present the research concept, including planning the research methodology and analysis of results,
– knowledge of methods of disseminating research findings,
– knowledge of the English language.
Applicants who do not appear for an interview do not participate in further qualification and their qualification score is 0 (zero) on the final ranking list.
The selection board shall determine the minimum number of points necessary to qualify a candidate for admission, which shall not be less than 50 points.
Only one candidate, who obtains the top position in the ranking list, will be admitted to the Doctoral School of Medical and Health Sciences.
➢ Required documents (either in Polish or English):
– Cover letter
– Curriculum Vitae
– Copy of diploma(s)
– The list of publications, conference presentations, grants, etc.
– Additional documents that could strengthen the application (at the applicant’s discretion)
– Consent to the processing of personal data (consent to the processing of personal data with the following content
➢ Deadline for submission of the required documents in electronic version: until 30th July 2021
➢ Deadline for the self-presentation and interview: 30th – 31st August 2021
➢ The results of the competition will be announced no later than 2nd September 2021
➢ The submission of paper documents is required no later than 15th September 2021
➢ Programme entries will be conducted from 27 September 2021
➢ Form of submission: e-mail: email@example.com
Competition for the position of a PhD student-scholarship holder as part of the research project team, POBqLife IDUB programme
The candidate is recruited to the Doctoral School of Medical and Health Sciences for a 3-year interdisciplinary doctoral program conducted in English (Inter-disciplinary PhD Program in Medical and Health Sciences)
– Master’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, Biophysics, Pharmacy, Medicine or related field
– very good knowledge of inflammatory and fibrosis processes
– experience and scientific interest in molecular biology, cell cultures and work on animal models
– eligibility to work with laboratory animals
– knowledge of English to the extent that it is possible to write publications on their own and to present the results at international conferences
– motivation to carry out research and ability to work in a team
Induction of myocarditis in the mouse model, organ isolation, Western blot, total RNA isolation, real time RT-PCR, immunohistochemical staining, data analysis, chart preparation and publication writing, participation in international conferences and short-term research stays abroad.
Deadline for submission: 31.08.2021
– cover letter (in English)
– resume (in English)
– a copy of the diploma
– a list of publications, conference speeches, grants
– additional documents that could strengthen the application (according to the candidate)